Monday, October 27, 2014

Really good circulation therapy

Two places that I think truly benefit me, body and soul, are the beach and nail salon. Before you think that I'm being frivolous and just like to be pampered, let me explain...

I sit in a wheelchair all day, and one of the disadvantages to this is that it causes me to have poor circulation in my legs and feet. I struggle with swelling and discoloration and lower sensitivity and cold feet. So when I find activities that relieve these symptoms, it is a really good thing.

At the beach, I love to sit in a little foldable beach chair, in the sand, right where the tide comes in. My feet naturally get buried in the sand, a wonderful organic buffer that exfoliates my skin. It supports and moves gently under and around the weird shapes of my feet. Then my feet and legs naturally get massaged by the warm salt water that comes and goes over them. My feet feel and look more alive after an afternoon on the seashore!

At the nail salon, I love to get pedicures. I sit in a massaging chair that works on my back, especially my lower back. I put my feet in a warm bath with jets of water pressure. I get my toenails cleaned and trimmed by someone who knows exactly how to do it. I get a foot massage, lotion, and warm towel. I feel all the muscles in my toes, feet, ankles, and legs just relax and stretch out. I feel pretty and refreshed after a morning at the nail salon!

I wish this could be daily activities for me... wow, I wonder how my body would respond to that kind of constant attention! But I am thankful for the times when I can get this special treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment